About Us

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

All Dogs, All the Time...

I feel like all I do is take care of dogs lately! I came home yesterday and noticed that Parker had already pulled a stitch... an end one of course... So I called the vet and he rather rudely shared that he wasn't going to restitch it. I understood that of course and asked what we could do.... he said "bring the dog in and we can get an antibiotic, ecollar and some zinc oxide between six and seven."
"Ok, Would..." Click. Before I could ask if 6:30 would work, he hung up! So long story not quite as long I brought him over, he looked at him, gave him all the stuff we talked about and we were out of there before 7. Parker weighs 20.6 lbs and the doc thinks he's at a good weight. Parker wanted nothing to do with the ecollar and was rather, um, obnoxious about it...so we haven't messed with it. He was quiet last night actually and slept until 6:45 and then was quiet (after Nick took him out) until we fed him at 7:30.

Tinker was acting much better yesterday, walking around and more perky : ) Last night her wheezing got worse and appeared to have some trouble breathing a few times during the night. I feel so badly for her. I'll see how she does tonight and if no improvement, I'll be calling MY vet and see if we can get some antibiotics for her too.... She is totally loving the homemade chicken broth that is going into her food though!

I must not have latched the gate this morning when I left this morning...Parker was out when I came home. I was gone a full 8 meaning he was out probably almost 7.5? Nothing touched, moved, peed upon, nothing. And he is relatively calm actually....

Parker is beginning to show fear. Initially I thought this was a bad thing, but the more I thought about it I realized this is another layer down from the tough dog that he tries to be. For instance, he was licking a spoon with yogurt on it last night and the slightest movement I made, he ducked and moved like I was going to hit him with it. I think someone hit him and judging by his issues with kitchen items, possibly with them...? While I'm not going to change anything that we're doing, I do know that at least he is being more real with us. I am careful with how I approach him and give him little bits of attention at a time before I overstay my welcome with him. He is a good boy. I keep reminding myself that we've had him a week and a half. We live in an instantaneous society but this will take time. Good things take time and we're willing to put the time into him... He will make someone a good companion sometime soon!

No comments: