About Us

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Almost a week later....

Well we've had Parker with us for almost a week now... Man, what a difference! He continues to improve each day--- less barking, more comfortable and easy going. He goofy personality continues to emerge! He is earning privileges and now relaxes in whatever room we are settled in once he is quiet and settled in the kitchen of course : ) He found a big comfy bed for the first time last night...Actually he started nesting the carpet and i brought one over to him with one of his blankets on it. He looked at me and slowly put his paws on it and then jumped on and settled in in 2 seconds flat. He looked like he was in heaven last night with the most content little face ever.

He d
id not go for a vet visit on friday as the vet informed me that he couldn't do X-rays at 6pm. (he wouldn't have all his staff there...?) I called him in the afternoon to check and see if the paperwork had made it over and that's when I learned about what he could and could not do. This particular vet is very curt and abrupt and sometimes the questions he asks me i'm just like "I don't know sir, the dog was a stray, on death row, and I just got him less than a week ago... that's why I'm calling you." But he is a kind soul and gives a fantastic discount to the rescue so we do what we can. Anyways, our appt is now scheduled for 8:30am on Monday. It worked out because I now have all the information from the vet he went to a few weekends ago as the last piece came in the mail today.

He does seem to be afraid/nervous of many household things such as the dishwasher, the vacuum, cleaner, a big cutting board standing up right in the strainer....Yup, I had washed the dishes and came back in to Parker barking rather furiously and nervously at a big cutting board in the strainer. So I put the cutting board on the floor for him to sniff and snort on, talking softly do him and tried it again with it back in the strainer...he still wasn't pleased but at that point company was coming soon so I rewashed it, dried it and put it away. We'll work with it again another time. He just needs to be exposed to all these "normal" things. The vacuum was a bit of an experience ashe may like to chase it...

Kristin and Spencer came over for dinner and Parker definitely was more stand off-ish and less settled. He barked more and was on guard with Spencer getting up every time Spencer stood up.... Spencer is a tall man with facial hair...who knows, maybe he reminded hime of someone in his past? He didn't display any aggression whatsoever, but I did think he was going to pee on his leg at one point (So I promptly took him out...)

Overall doing well. He does remind me why I prefer my girls though. He has peed on his front paw twice now that I've seen. He starts to pee on it and he doesn't stop or move his paw or anything! So Tink and I chant "boys drool and girls rule" as we run up the stairs before him and Nick : ) We have fun.

No comments: