About Us

Monday, August 17, 2009

Finding routine....

Molly came into our home on Saturday and fortunately, for all of us, Molly has been transitioning fairly easily. She's a basic Boston love and just wants to be where the people are, but not in an anxious I'm-going-to-chew-your-furniture-if-you-leave-me kind of way or anything. Both of the girls are sleeping through the night, although 7am rolls around and Molly definitely has to go out. But that's totally ok as most nights that means she's made it almost 9 hrs.

Tinker totally didn't want to get out of bed this morning. She actually went back to her bed before breakfast. I guess she didn't want to wait while I put together the turkey, sweet potato, jasmine rice (her fav!), carrots, cabbage, and cottage cheese. I had to go get her and as soon as she finished she was back to bed. Slightly unusual for her, but not completely. She didn't finish her dinner last night, but I gave her a healthy portion. Maybe she's just missing the venison....lol, it's a tough life being a dog in this house.

I look at Tink compared to Molly and Tink looks years younger. Her coat is beautiful, she's well muscled, and she's obviously well taken care of. To be honest, I was embarrassed to have Molly in Petsmart with us when we were getting a tag for her because of her condition. I am totally aware though, that given a few weeks, a nice bath and cleaning, consistent exercise, and a routine, that Molly will look and act years younger herself. All good things take time and I must be patient. I've been slowly cleaning the gunkiness off Molly's face and she seems to be enjoying the rubs and getting years of dirty fur off her face (smart girl.) I'll probably wait to bathe her until after we come back from camp, so as not to totally traumatize her. I'm hoping with some nice walks that Molly's back end with get some strength and tone to it.

We have a vet appt for Molly on thursday to take care of a host of things from heartworm testing, to checking her cushing's meds to checking for worms.

She really is a darling little girl. I don't want to say that she's going to be a permanent foster because there may be some family that falls in love with her and wants to care for her in her final years, but I am also trying to be realistic. I don't want to deprive Molly of a forever home in her final years but if the perfect one doesn't come around, we will gladly be that home for her. Nick and I joke saying that we hope we have a doggie retirement community rather than a hospice care center. It's kind of a sick joke, but we just try to keep the humor around here, and the little golden girls don't seem to mind : )

Both are peacefully sleeping at the moment. Nick and I are totally enjoying this adventure we have been given!

No comments: