About Us

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

We live in a Zoo...

Yeah for Apple Airport express and wireless internet that works : )

So Madison has been slowly acclimating over here.  She's a cutie but skittish.  I make a quick movement and she cowers or runs...poor girl.  Already improvement since saturday though. Oh and according to vet records she's 7.5 rather than 9.5 years.  That makes more sense looking at her and seeing how she acts.  She and Molly are pretty good with each other except in the middle room.  Madison apparently claimed that space as hers (she spent sat afternoon in there with me while I sewed her a coat and a new bed...) and now she doesn't like Molly coming near her in there...

Which now means Molly and Madison are suddenly vying for my attention...I have 2 little shadows following me around now (instead of none...which is weird, but ok).  I've been home sick the past 2 days which has been nice to transition Madison into our home.  Both girls woke up around 5:30am this morning...took them out then we had 2 girls in bed snuggling.  Madison snuggled up in my arms for the next 2 hrs...it was really nice (until I felt incredible sick which wasn't so nice)

I found 2 fleas last night and have declared all out war...complete with chemical warfare (which most of you know how much I hate chemicals!)  I spent a good portion of the day vacuuming, cleaning, spraying, doing laundry in hot water, dusting with DE, etc etc etc.  Molly got a bath and Madison was dusted with DE (she was given a bath late last night and 1 of the 2 fleas found was removed).  All seems better now.  We have a steam cleaner on the way (thank you amazon) so we can continue to clean clean clean more naturally and stop the nastiness!!!

Molly's explosiveness is getting better.  I spent a long time on the phone with NEBTR's resident nutritionist and together we developed a plan to help miss Moo out.  Fortunately her home cooked diet is pretty much right on.  Going to simplify the veggies and add rice or oatmeal to every meal.  I may be feeding her too much, so we're feeding her slightly less and shocking I know, she's pooping less too.  We'll be adding some Slippery Elm (as soon as I get out of the house again) to help her digestive track.  Because of the continuing diarrhea, Dr. Haver has taken Molly off the trilostane until everything settles (without the use of the flagyl I'm assuming...we're slowly taking her off that.)  I have a supplement coming specifically for the Cushings, cushex which I'm hoping helps at least a tiny bit.  We may end up using a lower dose of trilostane 2x/day rather than a larger dose once daily.  Best case scenario this supplement helps enough that she needs even less (or no) drug.  That would be fabulous but I'm not counting on it.

Anyways, all that to say Moo only spent 1 night in the kitchen and has been doing well since Sunday's last explosion...good thing she's cute.

We've realized that Molly is all business.  She has her routine, she knows what to do and when to do it so she does it.  Madison on the other hand is not all business.  She runs around when we try to put her coat on.  Molly stands there, nose to the door ready to go.

They're really cute together and I know that in a few weeks Madison is going to be a very different dog.  She doesn't appear to know any basic obedience (except, Madison, Come!).  Working on sit.  She really likes hotdogs, good thing.  She is a jumpy little girl and can be whiny, but turning away or waiting for her to stop and then produce what she wants (treat or ball) and she is catching on quickly.  Oh the joys of rehabing this little girls. 

1 comment:

karen said...

I love hearing how Madison is fitting into the family. I also read with interest your using the DE. I need to look into where I can get some, sounds like the answer I am looking for. Only a few fleas sometimes, but it is also for silverfish, etc!
I have been semi cooking for my crew also. Started out on the weekends, but now with the chiily weather, they are getting warm breakfast and dinner. Bob always stops by the stove and comments "you are cooking for the dogs?" I have been cooking brown rice and slice a sweet potato into it, and simmer until potato and rice are soft. Then I warm some up every night and add it to their dry food. In the morning, I just boil some water and add oatmeal, on the weekends I add an egg to the mix and call it "eggies". Bogey loves his "eggies". Also add a little flax seed to it, and yogurt or cottage cheese. I went to Whole Foods on Sunday, and bought some brown rice flour and other ingredients to start making their treats, without using wheat. Not that they are allergic, just want them to be as healthy as they can be. Funny, I thought of how I went to the health food store for the dogs, and not for us. Our dogs eat healthier than we do!
Anyway, I check your blog everyday, and was pleased to find two entries.
I went to bed last nights with happy thoughts of Madison and Molly, and your sweet loving home.