About Us

Friday, February 10, 2006

Ok, so i just need to talk for a little here. I know that i have been soliciting advice and stuff from others, and so that's my fault.... I'm young and not the most experienced around dogs but i am fairly knowledgeable about dogs. I knew before we adopted Tink that we were not only adopting a rescue dog, but adopted a rescue dog with "special needs." I knew that this was going to involve more than buying a puppy from a breeder.

I understand that she lived in a shelter for a long time and heaven knows what she went through before that. I know that i've only had her for 3 weeks and maybe others know her better, but i know her now... and we're working through the behaviors that i see. I don't expect her to understand "be good, mommy will be back in 2 hours" but she understands my tone of voice when i'm happy to see her and when i'm dissappointed at the pee in the kitchen (and lately the dissappointment has been with me for not getting her outside quick enough)

I also know that I love this dog so much and Nick and I are committed to working through her issues and living with the issues that don't pan out. She doesn't like it when i leave, whether or not you consider that separation anxiety is besides the point. Today she moved her pen clear across the kitchen, dumped all her water and i know there was pee in there somewhere... she was wide awake and panting when i came home.... the dogs i grew up with slept while we were gone... so i believe there are some issues that need to be worked through (via behavioral methods and flower essences and whatnot) so she can be more relaxed when we leave...

She only goes potty in the house when i'm not around. Yes i take her out regularly so that doesn't happen, but she has started sitting by the gate and i immediately take her out... she is learning.

This little girl has 6 years worth of "baggage" and bad deals in life. I know that i'm not going to do everything right, but I love her and we're working on it. right now she stinks like pee... i still love her. I know i get all excited and worked up over things when they initially happen, but i get over them or work through them or whatnot... its the same deal with her. If i wanted a dog that was low maintenence i would have never adopted a rescue dog... i would have bought a golden retriever or something less intelligent... (sorry to all Golden fans...)
OK, so i guess i needed to get that out...

No comments: