About Us

Monday, January 05, 2009

Gracefully Aging...

Well, Nick and I have determined that Tinker "cycles" with the idea that she goes through periods of being very happy and pain free and then she has periods where she seems to be a little more confused or restless. This is how she goes. However, I can't help but seem to notice that she seems a little more "out of sorts" in the past few months than she normally has been. I try to write things off and say I'm "over reacting" but sometimes I just can't. The Whole Dog Journal has run some articles on Canine Dementia and ways to try and stave it off which is great, but it's so hard to keep this little one's mind active.
Now don't get me wrong, I think Tink is doing well overall, it just hurts me to see her wander the hallway and get lost in the bedroom when I know that she knows her way around...at least she did at some point.

We've been working through some teeth and gum difficulties and the only thing that seems to help is rinsing the front of her mouth with hydrogen peroxide and water or salt and water after she eats.

Oh my darling Little One... we love you so much.

She seems more content snuggling with me lately. She and I took a nap on top of the down comforter on Saturday and she was in heaven, down comforter goodness both underneath her and on top of her. When I tried to wake her, I noticed a little doggie drool where she had been sleeping. Good thing it was on Nick's side of the bed : )
She's been craving (or responding more at least) to pats and touches, so I make it a point to slow down and to just touch and love her, kissing her little noggin and whispering in her ears while I rub under her neck.

We're coming up on our 3 year anniversary of our trip to pick her up with "Operation Atlanta." Nick and I were discussing some highlights of our marriage over New Years and that trip was on the list. You've come so far my Peanut...

Sigh, I'm nostalgic for sure this evening. It's the small things, it will always be the small things. Life is made up of the small moments. Watching her gobble up her raw snack before bed time, watching her dance on her hind legs in an effort to get some table scraps, snuggling on the couch on Friday nights, listening to her snore so contentedly at bed time, even listening to her little teeth chatter in excitement before a meal. Feeling the hair on her ears, scratching behind her ears, feeding her long strands of speghetti, "racing" her up the stairs after a quick potty break, wandering the neighborhood on a cool spring evening.... these are the types of moments I always want to remember.

So as I finish this tonight, it is with Tinker sitting her on my lap making sure I behave myself and kiss her head often enough for her. She is a happy girl and she is mine. That's certainly good enough for me : )

1 comment:

Ellen said...

That is such a beautiful post~