About Us

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Iggy is here : )

So Christina and I picked up Iggy in Lancaster this morning. As my first time getting an owner surrender and a foster in general, I was pretty nervous and not sure what to expect. The owner called and let me know she was running late before she even left and pushed the time back an hour. We met at a Petsmart and Iggy greeted us with a few licks and a wiggly butt. The lady give us mixed signals crying and saying she was sad to see him go, but then sharing how she would honestly forget about him and shared that she didn't like the doggy things that he does. We got the feeling that the kids most likely didn't leave him alone or give him any peace. He hopped right into his crate in my car but proceeded to cry/whine for a good portion of the ride home--until he covered himself up with a blanket and took a nap!

Iggy's a pretty big boy probably right around 25 lbs--he makes Tink look very tiny at 15lbs! He's well mannered for the most part-- knows how to sit, comes when called (and when he doesn't I know he's found something good, like Tink's kong) and is very content to chew on a bone. He chewed on bones for the first 2 hrs he was here! He immediately found the toy box and took every bone out he could. He has yet to put them away!

He did show some aggression when Tink literally bumped into him, he continued to growl and become quite possessive of the bone. He did this twice and lost the bone both times and earned a time out both times. He has since then let me touch him while chewing and brought a bone over to chew in my lap. He responds well to verbal praises and cherios and I think it's only a matter of time before he realizes I'm not going to take everything away from him.

He's a smart boy who went right to the door after we came home and immediately pooped outside! He and Tink said brief hellos (she licked him!) but for the most part could care less that the other is around. He has since learned (in a few short hours) that if he wants to go outside, all he needs to do is do stand by the door.... hmm, we'll have to work on that one. I'm thinking of bell training.

Aside from his age of 9 he shouldn't be too much of a challenge to place. He's active but not outrageous, inquisitive but fairly polite. I think a family with an older kid or no kids at all would be lovely! Of course this is all day one, I am well sure that things can and probably will change a bit as he becomes more comfortable!

I'll post pics later. I'm currently trying to take a break, but Iggy has finished his nap and has decided that he wants to do something...not sure what apparently!

No comments: