About Us

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tinker Gets a Clean Bill of Health!

So today Tink went to visit Dr. Haver. I swear he loves this little one almost as much as we do! He looked her over and listened to all my thoughts and concerns, answered them honestly and realistically and did not rush me at all. She has little skin tag/bumps over her legs and body and even her little face but not a serious concern by any stretch. Her front right canine tooth needs to be cleaned out with a little hydrogen peroxide once in a while, not a big deal. I told him what I had been doing and he replied "That's exactly what I would have told you to do." He listened to her little heart and said somewhat shocked: "She has the best heart in the house! It's crisp, clean, and regular. Now that could change when she's excited but for now, that's good."

We think Tink is losing her hearing and it did make me sad to hear him say "her world is getting smaller and smaller." I shared my thoughts on how important it is to touch her and keep a consistent schedule and he smiled as if to say I hit the nail on the head. It only dawned on us recently as we've been trying to get her to sit before meals, that maybe she can't hear us as well as she used to hear. I feel sad realizing that her world is indeed becoming smaller, but take comfort in the fact that she is still loving and living life to her fullest potential.

Her heartworm and lymes came back negative, but she was full of hook and round worms--STILL. We have 2ml of pyrantel that we gave her today and another to give 3 weeks from now. He also gave signs for us to to look for the worms taking over her little body: Diahrea, bloody stools, and coughing. Other than that, if she looks/acts ok, i'm treating her as ok.

Dr. Haver smiled in amazement as I shared that Tink still goes up the stairs a few times a day by herself. Her coat is healthy and shiny. It didn't surprise him to hear that she sleeps more or that she may have trouble hearing; it didn't concern him. We talked about Cushing's Disease a little bit and after him looking at her and listening to how she's been he decided that she most likely doesn't have Cushing's and if she did, there isn't much we would do at her age anyways. In his words "ignorance is bliss." She cycles, we know that and he understands that as well.

Tink decided to help us out this morning with a fecal sample by pooping in the dining room immediately after breakfast. I hear Nick "ooh, ooh!" At first I thought it was pee and in the split second after he said no, i was thinking seizure, dying on floor? When I heard/saw poop I was relieved. Nick grabbed a ziplock bag in time and we had a sample for the Doctor without even leaving the house! She hates this weather so much and now with the snow and ice she fears the outside more than I would like her to. The snow is melting already--she will survive. Hopefully our house will too!

So needless to say, I am happy as a clam with the Dr's take on her--i'm sure he thinks we spoil her rotten (homemade food anyone?) and that she certainly deserves it. His quiet mannerisms, gentle spirit, and realistic take how to handle Tink in her golden years is refreshing and gives me security knowing that my little one is in good hands with him for however many more years she graces us with her presence!

No comments: