About Us

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Paker Update, Week #5

So Parker has been with us for 5 weeks now. It seems kinda crazy to think about. Here are some of last weeks highlights
  • He learned to climb the gate in the kitchen. The third time he climbed it was Wednesday night and he earned himself the priviledge of sleeping in his crate instead of the kitchen as a result. He doesn't seem to mind the crate so much which is good because he goes in there whenever we leave now.
  • Both and and Tink seem to be in cahoots about the morning hours. He consistently barks between 5 and 5:30 and if he happens to sleep in a bit, Tink wakes me up and wants to get rolling around 6, 6:30. Blah. All I want is to sleep until 7am! My darling husband took care of Parker the Barker on saturday and Tink let me sleep until 7:45am : ) For those of you who know how much I am NOT a morning person, I'm doing ok with all of this considering the lack of morning sleep I've been getting.
  • I've been consistently brushing out his coat. For people who think BT's are a short-haired dog we need to think again! This dog practically has an undercoat!!! I brush and comb and comb and brush and it keeps coming out! I learned yesterday why people bath their dogs at a dog wash.... He clogged my drain with all his hair. So gross. But his coat is looking so much better! The bath yesterday helped soften his hair even more. His skin is good and when all the crap coat leaves, he's going to look even more stunning
  • My in-laws came for dinner on Friday night and overall Parker did pretty well. He appeared to have a slight issue with Don and possibly with hands....Parker was watching me with the food in the kitchen and Don came in to throw something away. When Parker turned around and saw him I think it partly scared him and he let Don know it. So after a time out and later in the evening. We repeated the scene in a controlled fashion so it would have a positive outcome. Parker's sit and look is very strong so we used that to "let" Don come into the kitchen, treating Parker for listening and looking at me rather than going after Don. Then Don gave him a treat too and Parker did ok. He's such a quick learner and I am certainly not afraid of him. I am confident that in time he will get over his fears and trust the people in his family more than he fears strangers in his own home.
  • Parker doesn't like thunderstorms. I think it was Tuesday night we had one go through. Now previously I had been working furiously to keep Parker off the furniture to help him not get too comfy here. The storm hit and Parker sought high ground. Our bed was the highest he could find and when I found him I of course pulled him off the bed but I realized he was nervous. He tried getting up on the shoe rack in the living room and then the couch. And he settled. So I let him lay there. So as a compromise, we have a blanket on the chair that he gets to sit and lay on. And generally he doesn't even try getting on the couch any more : )
  • We've been noticing more stiffness in his gimpy leg. Valley Animal hospital said to give 3/4 of an adult aspirin (264mg) to help the pain. But for a 21 lb dog it seems like so much. Dr. Haver, Tink's vet, said 1/4 of a baby aspirin (20mg) for her and she is 15 lbs.... So i've been giving him 1 or 2 baby aspirins with food at night when I notice he looks particularly uncomfortable (maybe once or twice in the past week and 1/2).
Overall, he's doing very well and he is a pleasure to have around. He's a lot of work, but he's a lot of fun too. He would love a fenced in yard when he can go and lay and roll around. So often we take him outside after a meal or for a walk and he literally body slams himself onto the ground for a good roll! It cracks us up!

No comments: