About Us

Friday, December 04, 2009

And the Beat Goes on...


So Molly had a vet appointment this afternoon with the intent to check on her tooth (which incidentally hasn't bled once since we made the appt yesterday.) I had an early day today so before the appointment Molly and I went to a few pet supply places to pick up some items for her doggie cousins and friends. Of course she wanted to eat everything, but it was cute to see her sniff her way down the aisles past the stuffies right to the treats and bones : )

So overall the vet loves the way Molly looks. Her pot belly is gone, her coat continues to look better, and her demeanor and attitude are much improved too. Dr. Haver smiled as he said "you're going in the right direction." He honestly seemed to think we're doing good work with her.

Her tooth appeared to take care of itself (with hydrogen peroxide) and after looking at her mouth, Dr. Haver said that it looks fine. We ended up being much more concerned with a spot I found on her while at the store before we got to the vet. It's at least a Staph infection but a culture is being done to determine if it's ring worm... apparently she's a prime candidate to get it. I asked him "what isn't she a prime candidate for?" He seemed a little concerned if it was ring worm just because he's not sure what we can use to treat with her having Cushing's. He's never had to treat a Cushinoid dog for ring worm. Thanks for potentially being the first Molly! We shall see; I'm to call on Tuesday for the results.

On top of that, the bump on her side is becoming more shaped and hard...we're continuing to monitor and "ignore" for the time being. The kicker of it all was we found a flea on her chest while we were there!!! I was mortified! (I found another one jump on the couch here tonight too....)

I'm currently washing ALL her bedding and our blankets, I'm covered the couch and her bedding that isn't washable and all the surrounding services with a diatamateous and neem oil powder. I've bathed her again and I'm just hoping and praying this is the end of it... I'll continue to put the powder down over the next few weeks. We'll vacuum tomorrow. This is the first that I've seen of fleas in our house. We found 1 on her a month or so ago and did the same thing we did tonight and that seemed to be the end of it. I know that her immune system is compromised and it makes her an easy prey for fleas. Plus she's had this diarrhea issue and if we can't get that cleared up soon, we'll have to put her on meds to help with that too....

Oh my little problem child...good thing she's cute! She is really quite the little dog. I hope we can get this issues cleared up without too much of an issue for her. I hate to think that she could be uncomfortable in any way.

1 comment:

karen said...

I'm really glad her tooth was of no major concern. Poor Molly and poor you! She really is lucky that she has you and Nick as her parents, you are so loving and take such wonderful care of that sweet girl. Thanks for the update. Kisses and hugs to that sweet girl.