About Us

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The last few days

The last few days have been a whirlwind in our little family.  Ori went 4 meals without eating and was really starting to worry me.  Thursday night I cooked up some chicken liver in hopes of enticing her to eat a little.  She ate a little but it was like "well if you're going to force me, I'll eat a bite or too..."  although she did spend some time in the kitchen smelling the smells.  Then finally yesterday evening I was cooking up a new batch of food for the girls and Ori paid attention!  Nick grated the carrots and the collard greens and peas are small enough that she can't pick them out.  She ate a 1/2 cup of plain turkey for dinner and then as I would packaging up the food and let Molly lick out the pot, Ori came over and was licking it out too!  So I put some in her bowl and she ate it!  So then I put more in her bowl and she ate that too!  She also ate breakfast this morning which is wonderful.  Maybe her hunger strike is over.

Molly's been eating well, looking and acting well too.  She has been getting up and getting into bed between 3 and 5:30 am though.  She usually snuggles with me.  I think she likes that Ori isn't in bed when she is in bed.  She and Ori seem to be doing pretty well together overall.  Often Ori goes over to Molly while she's eating like "hey whatcha doing?" and I never have to worry about molly being mean and  nasty.  She really is a teddy bear!

Ori's heat continues on and now the spots don't want to come out of the carpet.  So we took a respected breeder's advice and bought some onesies....you should have seen us at K-mart yesterday night.  Thank heavens for clearance.  yes, these are 18mos onsies!

 
It doesn't stay on perfectly, but it certainly helps!  We need to save our sanity and our carpet!


What a beautiful face!



Last night we had to make a choice.  Remember Belle, the dog we were supposed to pick up after we dropped Macy off at her forever home?  I do....it's a long and messed up story but she needs to come into rescue.  I wanted her so badly, but the thought of moving Ori didn't make any sense.  I sat on the couch to talk with Nick about it and Ori came up on the couch, licked my face and promptly laid in my lap.  I couldn't justify moving her into another home for Belle.  She fits here....and everyone seems to know it.  Belle has a good foster home to go to where she can live out her days in peace and love, finally.  It's just not with us.  Some day we'll have our own place and be able to take in multiple dogs....just not yet.

Ori is my little snuggler.  She climbs into my lap and has the most content and peaceful face on her.  She came back to bed with me after breakfast this morning...yeah, I was in heaven.  Her balance between play and snuggling is pretty fantastic.  Potty training is coming along too.  She has a pretty big under bite which is adorable.  Her little teefers stick out and we smile!

The 4 of us have spent a good deal of the morning on the couch relaxing.  I finished up a bunch of work on home visits, Nick played video games and the girls snuggled with us....1 of these days we'll get a bigger couch, until then, we snuggle up real close and tight!

1 comment:

karen said...

I'm glad that Ori is eating again! Little Ori, stop worrying Nick and Vicki like that and eat and get strong.
Ori looks so cute in her onesie. I'm sorry you have to go thru that. I rushed to get my Molly done before that, I can't imagine with the two boys, even tho they are fixed, what a mess that would be. We had to race against the clock, she had a tiny bit of mange that we had to wait to heal before we could get her spayed. I was so worried that she would go into heat, but we caught it just in time. Have a relaxing Sunday with the girls. Hope things are settling down for all of you.