About Us

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

So this is what it feels like...

....to make hard decisions. 

Apparently Ori is barking when we are not home.  I stood outside the door this morning and listened.  Within 3 minutes she was barking (she had to get the peanutbutter out of the kong first.)  Nick came back 30min later, still barking.  He put her in the back in the crate (to lessen the sound) and left early this afternoon.  3 hrs later I came home, still barking.  This time a bit more frantic (she couldn't see Molly.)  This is not the only reason, but it is kind of the deal breaker.  We want to do everything we can to be responsible doggie parents and right now we do feel it is a disservice to both dogs to keep her here...yes these decisions are being made quickly but not without a lot of thought.  Given the time parameters we have to work with, decisions need to be made...

There are lots of really great reasons to keep this little gem to ourselves.  If I start the list, I'll never finish...  The stress I felt today about making this decision and trying to work through her barking was excessive.  We live in an apartment where barking dogs are a luxury not to be afforded (if we want to stay on good terms with our neighbors and landlord!)  She only barks when we're not home...that makes reconditioning rather difficult.  She may outgrow it or eventually not need to be crated after she's potty trained, but we can't take that risk.  My mother really put everything in perspective this evening and as soon as she said it out loud, an inner peace returned.  When I shared with Nick the same thoughts he said the same thing I said "I don't want to hear this, but I have a peace about what was said."  I prayed earlier today that we would have a clear answer about this and that both of us would be on the same page.  Thank you for the clear answer.

The plan the entire time was for her to be transported this weekend up to NY with Elly.  Elly runs a kennel and is home with the dogs most of the time.  She'll be in really good hands.  We need to stick with that plan.  Ori is young and has a beautiful disposition and face.  She is going to find a good home with a great family...unfortunately it's not going to be ours.  We do have the distinct pleasure of taking care of her this week and taking her out to potty outside and cleaning up inside more times than I care to count! Have I mentioned I think she's going into heat?!?! ahhh yeah....that's 1 area I have NO experience with whatsoever!

So the transport will continue on Saturday as planned.  Nick will bring her out on the first leg of the journey while Linds and I are in class in Virginia.

I still maintain that the right old gal or guy is out there waiting to retire with us.  And in the meantime we continue to enjoy the journey and our time with beautiful Miss Moo and whatever friends come along the way.  More on Miss Moo and snuggly Ori too to follow...

1 comment:

karen said...

You are always so thoughtful in your decisions, they are never taken lightly. Ori is a sweet girl,and she fits so well in your home, I know how difficult it is. I kept thinking, as I read your posts about the Ori adventure, that if you adopted her, you possible couldn't foster anymore. And that is a shame. You and Nick are such excellent foster parents. The right girl will come along, and you will know it.
Bless all of you for what you do for these sweet foster souls.
I hope you can find peace in your decision, I know it is made with your heart.