About Us

Monday, March 01, 2010

not so random musings...

Molly came into our lives last August 15 and for less than 2 months our little home felt complete with the 2 pups we had.  Even though I knew it took Tink many many months to really settle in, I didn't stop to consider that it might be the same for Moo as she fell into our routine with ease.  Unfortunately, Tink's health faded quickly after Molly arrived and much of my time and attention was spent caring, doting, and loving on my heart dog in every way possible.  After Tink crossed the rainbow bridge, we stuttered and stammered our way through the usual routines.  Molly did a fabulous job helping me smile, but often I still ended in tears.  Fortunately the strongest grief intensity cannot be maintained forever and we slowly but surely slipped into a new routine that included pieces of the old and familiar and pieces of the new as we continued to move forward.
Molly has been with us over 6 months already.  And in that time, we have been through much grief and excitement.  Molly's medical issues, while not cured, are for the most part under control and do not impede her day to day activities.  Nick and I laugh now, but it was no laughing matter waking up or walking through a mess of explosiveness.  The cushing's is real and while not quite as regulated as we would like, we continue to press forward working with her diet, supplements, and medications as much as we can.  She lets me roll her on her back, cradled like a baby while I rub oil into her tummy in hopes of helping her paper thin skin.  She has love in her eyes and seems to know that her best interest is in mind.
I love when the snuggly side of Molly comes out and she presses in close to me.  We share thoughts and secrets that can only be shared with a little golden girl such as she.  While not a fan of baths and nail clipping, she tolerates them both much better than when she first came here, knowing that she will be treated kindly and with lots of cookies (or peanut butter on the bathtub wall) for her cooperation.  She even lets me blow dry her thin little coat.  She has taught both Macy and now Ori the ropes of the house and how to be a fairly well behaved little BT in our home.  She does like to "yell" at me in the evening when she wants a cookie.  She stands there and looks at me with mischief in her eyes.  Then her tail and butt slowly begin to move and before I know it, we're both dancing in the kitchen to her yodeling tune.  I have a very hard time saying no to her in moments like that so, she continues to yodel at me in the evenings and before bed for an extra snack or 3.
Ori's presence oddly enough is creating a balance between play and sleep over here.  She actually arrived in our home 4 years after Tink did to the weekend.  She likes to shake things up and have fun, always on the hunt for a new adventure or snuggle opportunity.  She's a smart little girl and the more she learns the quicker she picks up the next new item.  Some days I still can't believe that we adopted her and that she is ours to keep.  Usually that excites me, but sometimes I feel sad knowing that we have Ori because Tinker is no longer here.  But because of Tinker, we are better equipped to love and care for both our girls.  There is still such a wide range of emotions inside of me... but again, each dog, especially one with a history like O, takes time to blossom and grow.  It also will take time over here for us to adjust as well, more emotionally than physically at this point.  Her smooshy little face and upbeat personality are just what the doctor ordered most days.
Ori and Moo are really quite the pair and we are so blessed to have them as part of our little family...

1 comment:

karen said...

Such sweet and heartfelt soul searching you write about. I have said before, you really have a talent for expressing your feelings. A wonderful tribute to Tink, Molly and Ori. Your special little Boston girls. You give the girls the stability, love and understanding that all living things deserve and thrive on. Many more happy years with Moo and sweet Ori. More and more she reminds me of my Molly, rushing into life full speed. Thank you for the lovely musings tonite.