About Us

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Want to Add to the Beauty....

Parker and I walked to our last basic obedience class this evening. I was listening to my ipod with one of my favorites, Sara Groves. Sometimes I crave certain artists and songs and tonight was definitely a Sara night, Add to the Beauty CD to be specific. As I was listening to "Add to the Beauty" a few profound thoughts hit my mind. Regardless of what I am doing or what I need to do in life, I want to always add to the beauty and not take away from it in this world. There is so much ugliness and I just don't want to have any part of that. Directly related to the dog world, I want to create an environment where our dogs want to do well and want to thrive. I want my home to be safe and loving environment to every one and every animal that walks through these doors. I want my attitude to add to the beauty while working with these dogs. Unfortunately for me, that is not always how it goes. But God is good and He gives us new days and His strength and dogs who also extend grace...(ha, that's a funny concept to think about, dog's giving grace, but it's true!)

Parker did very well tonight. It was almost like he was showing off, because he was MORE consistent at obedience tonight than he is in general. Of course, in his defense, I fed him 1/4 of this meal and took the rest with us, so he was hungry. It worked out well minus a small issue at Tink's bowl this evening. It was my fault, I let him out of his crate too early...he must have kicked Tink away from her bowl with a growl. I came in yelling. He almost went after me, but then thought better of it or I ordered him to his crate too quickly...? Not sure, but his "crate up" was solid even when he was hungry! I don't put him in there as a time out too often, but sometimes I need a break and in this case I needed to see where Tink was and how she was doing. Of course she was fine. Parker and I had a little heart to heart and then we were fine again.

Oh I digress...anyways, Parker greeted every dog at obedience with a wagging tail. Now I had a good hold on him, but still, no sign of aggression or fear. He had one of the best "heels" while walking this evening. His sit, was impeccable; he sat beautifully while a tween greeted him and while an adult greeted me.

I still have to wonder what types of dogs he has issues with. I haven't been able to typify them yet. We met a lab mix of a dog, Baron, in the parking lot earlier this afternoon and Parker snapped at him a few times. He met a Rottie and a Portugese Water Dog mix this evening without any issues. Small dogs, jumpy dogs were ok too. I'll keep looking for a trigger or pattern, but he's not making it easy to find!

He wasn't keen on me interlocking my fingers under his chin and stroking his jowls, but we'll take that slowly. We spent some time working through being able to touch all over the dog's bodies and while I know that is important, it's gravity hit me again tonight. I have spent the past month or so working on being able to do exactly that with him. I can brush him anywhere, we're working on his feet, I can rub him down, etc. It's also a really neat opportunity to spend time bonding and having fun together.

So yes, that's my update on adding to the beauty, one dog at a time.....


Add to the Beauty--Sara Groves

We come with beautiful secrets
We come with purposes written on our hearts, written on our souls
We come to every new morning
With possibilities only we can hold, that only we can hold

Redemption comes in strange place, small spaces
Calling out the best of who we are

And I want to add to the beauty
To tell a better story
I want to shine with the light
That's burning up inside

It comes in small inspirations
It brings redemption to life and work
To our lives and our work

It comes in loving community
It comes in helping a soul find it's worth

Redemption comes in strange places, small spaces
Calling out the best of who we are

And I want to add to the beauty
To tell a better story
I want to shine with the light
That's burning up inside

This is grace, an invitation to be beautiful
This is grace, an invitation

Redemption comes in strange places, small spaces
Calling out our best

And I want to add to the beauty
To tell a better story
I want to shine with the light
That's burning up inside

No comments: