About Us

Monday, June 29, 2009

Parker...is it really you?

So Nick and I have been trying to decide if someone traded out Parker for an angel or if we just imagined all the issues we've been working through the past 6 weeks. Week 7 and 8 (has it really been that long?) have been going beautifully. I continue to train with part of his meal and feed him the rest in a bowl....he's been going for at least a mile walk every morning and a decent walk in the evenings, he's generally well mannered and easy going.... I spent over 30 minutes this evening brushing him and dremeling his nails. He wasn't totally thrilled about the dremel part, but we kept it playful and food oriented and fun and he did just fine. It was fun to play and be silly for a bit with him, taking everything slowly and keeping it positive.

Now don't get me wrong, he has his moments, but they are fewer and less severe. Heel has been an amazing training concept as walking him is SOOO much nicer. He's improving when we walk around other dogs. He's still a nut case, but he's getting quieter and getting over it quicker. He's actually a really nice pleasure to be around. The flat buckle collar has been indespensible in this process too.

The 4 of us are soooo looking forward to the cabin! (ok, so Parker has no idea, and Tink could care less, but still!) After a fabulous friday night with company I am confident that Parker will be just fine. He's going to run and run and run and stay outside and sleep and eat and lay outside and did I mention lay outside? Sigh, hopefully we can exhaust him and he will sleep past 7am : ) That's my master plan. But regardless, it's going to be a beautiful weekend to relax and take it easy with some family and our pups!

It has amazed me how every once in a while, especially now that Parker has manners, I realize how bratty miss Tink can be. Now I love her dearly and she has earned certain rights, but when she clamors at dinner or refuses to sit nice while Parker is quiet and calm, I remember that she needs obedience maintenance too. I say to Nick "It's pretty bad when the foster dog shows the forever dog up!" Fortunately she shapes up pretty quickly....One night not too long ago though, she was pawing up at me at the dinner table and I had to correct her (ha! Her correction was "Tinker off" with a gentle push to put all 4 paws back on the ground.) Parker's face looked as if he was to saying "finally! I thought that dog could never do anything wrong!"

Oh I love having these 2 around. Tink's my little snuggler and Parker is my little project. His next home will appreciate all the time and energy that has gone into him and will work to maintain and continue his training! Soon, very soon hopefully.

I need to take some more pictures of Tink and Parker....our new Macbook should be here tomorrow and then Nick and I can play with it and post some pictures next week when we return from the cabin! Oh what fun times ; )

No comments: