About Us

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Comes Early....

...for our little family.  We always seem to be traveling and in MA on Christmas so Nick and I pick a different day to share gifts with each other.  With all the snow that we received this weekend, we did Christmas with Nick's immediate family Friday night instead of Saturday.  That left an entire beautiful snowed in Saturday for Christmas here.  Coffee in hand, warm pj's and slippers on, we exchanged gifts.  I pulled a gift out of Molly's stocking and as I helped her open it she was so eager she could barely wait!  I got the antler open and gave it to her.   She eagerly and quickly figured out it tasted good to chew on it. (By the way, how do dogs determine what is good to chew on?)  She chewed and gnawed on it the entire time Nick and I opened gifts and talked and laughed.



At first I thought it was too big, but then I realized she was just getting the hang of it : )








As you can see, Molly was very serious about this yummy treat!  Well, after we finished, we decided to let her have another gift.  I went towards her stocking on the wall and she looked up, interested.  I took out the Himalayan dog chew and again, could barely get it opened before she went crazy.



She laid right down in the middle of the living room (she didn't make it back to her bed) and chewed and chewed and chewed.  Now don't get me wrong, we know that saying Molly likes food is a bit of an understatement, but she LOVES this thing.  I expected it to be gone quickly or to have to take it from her so she doesn't eat it all in one sitting.  This this is strong!!!

I sat on the chair and just watched how happy, blissfully happy she was chewing on this amazingly yummy treat.  My heart was happy as I watched her, snuggled in my blankie.  I don't think she's liked anything as much as this gift.  It's a very hard cheese and she's loving every moment she's chewing on it!

 

I cooked for her yesterday morning.  Normally she is in the kitchen underfoot waiting, waiting, waiting for some!  Not yesterday!  She eventually moved to her bed and then investigated the kitchen with the chew in her mouth!  She didn't let this thing outta her mouth never mind out of her sight!  I laughed so hard at her entering the kitchen with this thing shoved in her mouth, butt wiggling in delight!



She chewed a couple hours in the morning before we took it away from her.  OK, so we traded her for a lousy cookie and she wasn't thrilled.  But because it's made of milk and I'm keeping her off all dairy, I wanted to make sure she didn't have any issues with it.  After a delicious Turkey dinner (a roasted turkey, candied sweet potatoes, green beans, and stuffing) and a trip outside, she got her beloved chew back.  She chewed for another couple hours before we took it away for the night.  I've trying to get her weight back up from her last 'bout of sickness and I think between the chew and all the yummy food she got yesterday we're well on our way...she kinda looked like a stuffed pig last night.  All she needed was an apple in her mouth and she would have been set : )

She currently has it this morning again and has about a 1/3 of it left still.  Not bad after at least 5+ hours of chewing!  I know she'll go back to the Antler when the chew is gone and then she'll love the bull sticks that are still waiting in her stocking....  oh to be a well loved dog...

1 comment:

karen said...

What a lovely picture you paint! I felt like I was right there, watching Molly chew happily. Thank you for sharing your Christmas with us. I'm so glad Molly is getting healthy, and is so happy and loved.
I bought Molly one of the smaller Himalyan chews for her crate. She loved it also. I knew if the boys got ahold of it, it would be gone too quickly.
Merry early Christmas to you, Nick and Molly. Peace and happiness always.